Litigation Legal Assistant
About Our Job
Fairfield and Woods, P.C. (FW) seeks a Litigation Legal Assistant who will support the delivery of quality legal services to clients by providing secretarial and administrative assistance to attorneys and paralegals, performing complex and specialized clerical tasks, and working collaboratively and cooperatively with others in a team-oriented environment. All duties will be performed under general supervision. Regular and predictable attendance is an essential function of the job.
This Litigation Legal Assistant position presents a challenging and rewarding opportunity for an experienced legal assistant who thrives in a fast paced, team-oriented and constantly changing environment.
The responsibilities for this position include:
- Files pleadings, notices and other documents and papers electronically or in hard copy as required with courts and administrative agencies and determine parties entitled to notice.
- Reviews and routes incoming e-filings, mail and fax communications to team. Prepares and processes outgoing e-mail, mail, arranging for specialized mail or messenger services as required. Ensures that all attachments, exhibits and enclosures are included. Coordinates activities with Office Services personnel as needed.
- Maintains and updates the calendars for assigned attorneys, including meetings, appointments, due dates, and client-related activities. May docket specific client dates as needed. Assists with scheduling mediations, depositions, arbitrations, trials, etc.
- Assists with virtual meetings and court appearances as necessary.
- Using dictation, word processing and document management software, the Legal Assistant prepares and processes correspondence and memoranda as well as complex legal documents.
- Maintains paper and electronic files, including saving all case-related documents and emails in Worldox and/or NetDocs.
- Coordinates Financial Functions: Assists as needed with time entries for assigned attorneys as requested and submits them in a timely manner. Prepares expense reimbursement and disbursement requests as needed. Assists in the monthly billing process, including but not limited to coordinating client billing matters, drafting monthly billing letters, and working with the Billing Coordinator to ensure assigned attorneys client billings are processed and transmitted to the client in a timely manner.
- Provides Administrative Support: Prepares and processes new matter forms and conflicts checks in SurePoint. Receives and directs clients and visitors. Coordinates travel arrangements, prepares itineraries, and prepares travel expense reports. Schedules meetings, arranges for and sets up conference rooms and meals. Maintains and updates contact names and addresses in SurePoint. Communicates effectively with clients and with others in the firm. Is proactive in anticipating the business needs of the assigned attorneys; plans ahead and meets deadlines.
- Works cooperatively with other departments and individuals in the firm.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Our ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications/skills:
- High school diploma required; college degree or business school desirable.
- At least three years in litigation as a Legal Assistant in a mid-size or larger law firm or similar organization.
- Initiative, flexibility, resiliency and a willingness to adapt to change.
- Demonstrated knowledge of court rules (state and federal, bankruptcy is a plus), legal terminology, legal documents, and legal processes in the practice area(s) in which the Legal Assistant is employed.
- Strong computer proficiency in the use of the Microsoft Office, AdobePro, Worldox/NetDocs, SurePoint, WebEx, Zoom, Microsoft Teams, e-filing via CCEF and CM/ECF, PACER, and database software.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal; demonstrated understanding of correct grammar, spelling and punctuation.
- Ability to work effectively and proactively within a team environment, including ability to interact with others in a professional and civil manner; to volunteer to assist others when available to do so; and to assist when requested and able to do so, including requests from attorneys not assigned to employee.
- Strong time management skills and the ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to coordinate multiple tasks concurrently and to meet deadlines.
- Strong organization skills, interpersonal skills, and attention to detail.
About Everything Else
Fairfield and Woods P.C. offers a robust benefits package to our staff that includes medical, dental, vision, life, and pet insurance, health savings and flexible spending accounts, identity theft protection, 401k, discretionary profit sharing, employee assistance program, paid holidays, parental leave, and PTO. Additionally, our firm promotes a work-life balance by offering other benefits such as wellness programs and access to the building fitness center.
Pay & Total Compensation
The salary range for this position is $55,000-$75,000/year based on education and experience. FW reserves the right to pay more or less than the posted salary range. Employer-paid benefits increase total compensation by approximately 20%. FW does not discriminate on the basis of any protected category with respect to the payment of wages.
How to apply
Please send your resume and letter of interest to Jessica Duncan, HR Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fairfield and Woods, P.C. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.
For information about the right to work, click here for English or here for Spanish.