REPORTS TO: Billing and Finance Manager
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
JOB STATUS: Regular, full-time
POSITION SUMMARY: Works directly with billing attorneys and support staff to ensure accurate and timely production and delivery of the firm’s client invoices, including e-billing; enforces consistent application of approved billing arrangements, rate exceptions, discounts, write-downs, and write-offs; assists with matter set-ups related to billing, including rate exceptions, alternative fee arrangements, and e-billing items; works with billing attorneys, support staff, and clients on existing accounts receivable; assists with other billing related projects.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Essential functions include, and are not limited to, the following responsibilities. Regular and predictable attendance is an essential function of the job.
- Provide assistance to billing attorneys and support staff throughout the paperless billing process, as required
- Create, prepare, and initiate workflow of prebills for assigned billing attorneys
- Revise prebills with accurate fees, costs and narrative edits
- Process and deliver final bills including e-billing submission, as required (non-e- billed invoices will be sent via email)
- Set up rate exceptions, alternative fee arrangements, and other billing related fields on client matters
- Set up appropriate clients, matters, timekeepers, budgets, and rates within e-billing vendor sites, as required
- Work with billing attorneys and support staff on appeals of e-bills, as required
- Consult with billing attorneys, support staff, and occasionally management, regarding use of appropriate billing policies
- Respond to questions relating to billing, accounts receivable, and work-in-process, and produce reports as needed
- Maintain up-to-date billing system
- Prepare client billing as assigned
- Process cash receipts and prepare bank deposits
- Research and resolve routine internal and external inquiries concerning client account status, including communicating the resolution of discrepancies to appropriate persons
- Maintain accounts receivable client files and reports
- Process credit reference requests and client audit letters
- File, maintain and distribute billing documents, records and reports as necessary
- Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily, including, but not limited to those listed above. The requirements listed below are representative of the education, experience, skills, knowledge and abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
1. Education: High school diploma required; college degree/certificate desirable.
2. Experience: Minimum of 3 years’ experience in a similar role in a law firm.
3. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of accounting principles and demonstrated ability to apply this knowledge to perform detailed basic accounting tasks and procedures accurately.
- Strong organization skills, interpersonal skills, and attention to detail.
- Strong time management skills and the ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Intermediate skill level in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Initiative, a “can-do” attitude, flexibility, resiliency, awareness of surroundings and a willingness to assist where the need arises.
- Ability to apply reason and logic in interpreting information from billing attorneys and support staff.
- Analytic ability to apply knowledge to practical applications and to foresee possible problems and effect solutions.
- Ability to work independently and effectively under time constraints in an accurate manner with a consistently high production level.
- Ability to work effectively and proactively within a team environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively (orally and written), with all levels of staff and clients.
TOTAL COMPENSATION: The starting salary range for this position is $50,000 – $70,000 annually. Fairfield and Woods (FW) reserves the right to pay more or less than the posted salary range. Employer paid benefits increase total compensation by approximately 20%. Additionally, FW supports training and professional development activities for all staff. New employees accrue days of personal leave after 90 days of service and 9.375 hours per month following; and 40 hours of sick leave, and additional leave for wellness and volunteer opportunities. FW does not discriminate on the basis of any protected category with respect to the payment of wages. Visit us at www.fwlaw.com to learn more about our professionals and our services
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of the requirements that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use a telephone, computer keyboard and mouse; reach with hands and arms; talk and listen. The employee is frequently required to walk and sit, as well as to lift and carry objects such as books, boxes, and files weighing up to 30 pounds. The employee is occasionally required to stand, stoop or kneel. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job, including moderate noise level, an indoor temperate environment, and light levels that are bright and typical for an office environment.
TO APPLY: Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com to express your interest.